Thursday, May 3, 2012

I Speak Construction Worker

Pin It
Yinz just interested in this?
Scroll down.
















So my house is old.
Like built before the times of Downton Abbey OLD.

Ergo, we knew we would have some "projects" on our hands when we purchased it.
A lot of these projects we have tackled ourselves,
but some are a little out of our reach.
The roof, for example.
We've had the original slate roof with wooden, yes wooden, gutters,
and now we are updating to a newer, sleeker, more waterproof version.
Construction workers are a great group of (mostly) guys.
They're easy to please,
which is great because a happy worker makes a happy homeowner.
Why?
Because when they like you, construction workers do things like:
  • Help you carry in your groceries.
  • Conveniently take a 15 minute water break when you're trying to get your kid to nap.
  • Place their cigarette butts in a designated vessel as opposed to all over your yard.
  • Not curse (as much), especially when your child is around.
  • Put up with and even play with your two psycho canines.
And perhaps most importantly:
  • Listen more carefully when you give them OCD requests.
  • Work a little longer each day.
  • In my opinion, do overall better work for your home.
Which brings me to my next point,



Easy Ways to Make a Happy Construction Worker:

  • Talk to them when they're taking a break.
  • Provide them with that which they most desire.
    • Gatorade
    • Beef Jerky
    • Tastycakes
I went to the grocery store yesterday and stocked up on some Gatorade, I use this recipe for jerky marinade(I sub beef for venison), and I don't usually ever have tastycake-like baked goods, but I DO bake a lot. Today, they're getting handholdable mini apple pies (recipe below).

I would say all in all, it took me about 10 minutes to put them together and another 15 to 20 to bake?
Well worth the time.
In my eyes, having some hardworking men on your side is invaluable. :)

Mini Apple Pies

Ingredients: 5-6 medium apples (I use Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and cubed
1/2 C sugar
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons AP flour
2 pre made pie crusts (no lie, I use store bought)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix all ingredients (except crust) in a bowl. Set aside.







Using a ramekin (mine is about 5 inches in diameter), cut circles in rolled out crust and place crust circles gently in a muffin tin. I got about 10 out of 2 store bought crusts (or one package).









Fill muffin tins with apple filling.
Don't be afraid to mound it a little; they'll bake down.








Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are a bit browned.
I like my filling with a bit of a bite left in the apples, but if you want the apples more cooked through, I recommend precooking it on the stove top for a bit until the apples just begin to turn soft.

Let set for a few minutes, then remove from muffin tin.

That's it! So simple.

Hope you enjoy. :)


2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks AMAZING!
    And you are right: happy workers = a WAY better job done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are such a cute little Handmaid, i love this post so much!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!