Thursday, June 14, 2012

Peas on Earth

Pin It
My first peas have been picked and shelled!
And my goodness are they delicious!
I love peas. LOVE PEAS.


























I'm keeping my shells for a chilled pea pod soup recipe that I found.
I'll share, but I have to try it out first.
For now, I just put my shells in a freezer safe container since they'll go south pretty quickly.







Aren't these cute, though?
I believe it to be a true crime that most people these days have not tried fresh peas.
They are so sweet and have the best texture, not mushy at all.
Give peas a chance!




Okay, enough with the puns. For now.





I thought I would share with you all one of my favorite go to recipes for peas.
I was able to use not only my own homegrown peas for this but also a lot of my basil which is growing with a vengeance!





Homemade Pesto with Fresh Peas and Orrechiette



In a food processor or mortar and pestle, mix about 1 C lightly packed basil leaves (a good handful) with 1 clove of garlic roughly chopped and 2 tablespoons of lightly toasted pine nuts and a healthy pinch of salt.

Pulse until mixture makes a thick paste.
Gradually drizzle in olive oil until the paste loosens (about 1/4 C olive oil). Set aside.

In a pot of boiling water, cook pasta of your choice until just before al dente. I like orrechiette with peas because they get caught in the pocket of the pasta. Put in a cup or so of shelled peas. Cook for a few minutes more until pasta is al dente and peas are just lightly cooked so they maintain a firm texture.
Place in a bowl and mix with your pesto mixture and about 1/2 C of Pecorino Romano cheese. Add another drizzle of olive oil if your pasta needs to loosen up.

Top with some chopped tomato and some more cheese if you like, and serve with crusty bread.
This is the BEST easy early summertime dish!
Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!