Monday, July 16, 2012

Stocking up on Stock

Pin It
Every couple of months or so
(more in the fall and less in the spring),
I devote a day to replenishing my supply of homemade chicken stock.

Because I cook mostly everyday,
we go through a lot of stock.
Let me mention also, that storebought stock really does pale in comparison to homemade.
I'm really not a homemade snob.
I swear.
I've been known to use some storebought items in lieu of homemade on many occasions.
And I do use storebought stock when I'm really in a pinch,
but I'm telling you:
make the exact same recipe with homemade stock vs. storebought
and people will be asking you what you put in it
because it has so much more flavor.
Last week I made a huge batch and froze it in portions.
It was really nice to be able to use all ingredients that either came from my garden or the farmers market.

I use two hens
a few carrots cut up,
an onion cut in half,
a head of garlic cut in half,
a couple ribs of celery cut up,
a generous handful of parsley,
some dill,
lots of thyme,
a palm full of whole peppercorns,
some salt.
Cover with water and simmer for 4 hours.



The smell is so nice.
Once it's done, I strain all the bits out of it
(that's why I don't bother with peeling or whathaveyou)
Then I let it sit overnight,
then skim off the fat.









Portion and freeze.

I really think this stock has about 100x the flavor of the canned variety.
Not to mention, you know from where all of your ingredients come.

4 comments:

  1. I need to try this! Do you just use a big stockpot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the biggest stock pot I have (it's also what I use for canning usually) I think it's a 20 qt?

      Delete
  2. I am a total cheap out when I make chicken stock. I save odds and ends of veggies in a gallon ziplock in the freezer - carrot ends, brocolli stems, the tops of celery, etc. The night after I roast a chicken, I put all the bones in a crock pot and toss in the bag of veggies, and add onion, garlic, and any herbs I have handy. The next day, I strain cool, and store it.

    It isn't as pretty a process as your stock, but I like that it is practically free, takes about 5 minutes, and doesn't require any extra shopping on my part. That fits my life well, as I dislike both shopping and cooking. :P

    I like that you add a whole head of garlic and the peppercorns. I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! My odds and ends are never wasted either. Most of them end up in the compost to have a second life in the garden.
      I keep the meat from my chickens after the stock is done. I take it all off of the bone and freeze it. It's way too over done to be reused for us, but it's great for dog treats.

      Delete

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!