Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Putting Up Green Beans

Pin It




I was a little worried this year about my green beans.



I built a new trellis for the plants, hoping to save quality space in the garden.
I planted.
They grew.


For more info on how I built my trellis, click here.



And I have to say, the trellis worked great...
but there weren't any beans!









Long story short, I waited
and found out quickly that I really needn't have worried.





We've gotten so many green beans this year,
and the plants are still going strong.
I've been putting them up in batches because we've even been getting way more than we can eat.







Ben's new favorite activity is picking beans in the morning.
Every morning I pick and hand the beans to Ben, and he puts them in the basket.
For some reason, he thinks it's hilarious.










I don't do pressure canning as of now, just good ole water bathing,
so the only canning I do of green beans is of dilly (pickled) beans.

Luckily, I have plenty of freezer space this year.








I get all of my beans cleaned up,

blanch them in salted water for a minute,









shock them in my sink filled with ice water,








and then lay out to dry a bit before portioning and freezing them.

And that's it! So simple.
They're all ready when I need them.
And usually I need them with bacon.

Mind you, we don't have enough to really put up huge amounts without supplementing from the farmers market, but I'm just so excited that I'm able to put up any at all from my own limited space.

Overall, I am more than pleased.
What do you all do with your beans? recipes? canning? pickling?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!