Friday, February 1, 2013

Cabled Cowl [Knitting Pattern]

Pin It












I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was sucked in to the Downton Abbey Knit Along,
and then in my excitement proceeded to crochet (and finish) my project in the very first episode.










All has ended well, though,
because I started a new project,
knitting this time.



















I was in the mood to knit,
and more specifically,
make a project that included some cabling.






So here's how it turned out!

If you've been following along, you'll notice that this pattern is very similar to my cabled wrap.
Another project which I love and wear all. the. time.

 





Reasons I like this project:





It's cabled (I love cables).



It's toasty warm.








It's long enough that you can wear it long like in this pic
(blurry, yes, but you get the point)








lazy eye












or you can wear it doubled up for super warmth.











So here's what you'll need:
Yarn (duh). I used less than one skein fisherman's wool (medium/4)
Size  9 (5.5 mm) circular knitting needles
cable needle
yarn needle to weave in ends

Abbrevs:
st- stitch(es)
rnd(s)- round(s)
K- knit
P- purl
C6B- place 6 st on cable needle and place at the back of your work, K6, K the 6 st on your cable needle


Cast on 144 stitches. Join the end to the beginning so you have a loop.
Rnd 1: Knit
Rnd 2: Purl
Rnd 3: Knit
Rnd 4: Purl
Rnds 5-19: *P4, K12, P4, K16, repeat from * around until you reach the beginning (4x total)
Rnd 20: *P4, C6B, P4, K16, repeat from * around until you reach the beginning (4x total)
Rnds 21-32:*P4, K12, P4, K16, repeat from * around until you reach the beginning (4x total)

Repeat Rnds 20-32 twice more (you will have cabled this sequence three times total).
Next 15 rnds: *P4, K12, P4, K16, repeat from * around until you reach the beginning (4x total)
Next rnd: Purl
Next rnd: Knit
Next rnd: Purl
Next rnd: Knit
Last round: Cast off and weave in ends.
Boom. Finished.

1 comment:

  1. I think your cowl is fantastic and I have recently just found out how to cable, so can't get enough!! I found 1 skein of Lion brand fisherman's wool for a great deal -- 99 cents. I couldn't pass it up!! Can you explain what you mean by doubling it up. Do you mean twisting it and going over your head twice, sort of like a mobius. It just doesn't look like that in the picture, or did you overlap it in the front. I know that second suggestion sounds impossible but in the photo it just doesn't look twisted. I would really like to make this cowl.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!